Pages

Sunday 25 March 2012

Spoon theory

I have just read this theory called the spoon theory and I think it is an excellent way of people knowing what it is like to live with a long time condition. Google spoon theory to read it in full but I am going to explain it in context to my life. If you imagine that someone healthy has as many spoons as they like where as someone with an illness or disability has a limited amount a day, let's say I have 12 spoons today and this is how my day looks Wake up and need to jump out of bed quick as I'm late as usual. That's one spoon used Having a shower and washing hair, that's two spoons used Finding clothes And getting dressed is Another spoon gone. Making breakfast which I need but makes me feel sick and taking a bucket full of drugs is Another spoon gone Lugging my stuff in car, driving to work and getting out the other end is another spoon gone It's only 9 o'clock and I only have 6 spoons left! Can you imagine having to think about how you use up your spoons for the day and knowing you have to Get to the end of the day yet. Working uses up 3 spoons and that is only if I do what I need to and not the hundred other things people ask you to. Now it's home time and I drag myself to car and home, this uses another spoon so I'm left with 2 spoons, dinner has to be easy as I'm to tired to cook much and then all I can do is pjs, drugs and bed as all my spoons are Gone. Some days I have more spoons than others, and others I have less especially if I have infections or more pain. People ask what it is like to be me so imagine if you had to make choices about how to use your spoons and everything is so limited! Daily tasks that people take for granted have to be organised in advance. So next time you ask why isn't that done, or comment when I have no lunch or the hoovering is not done or car not cleaned,the list goes on, maybe I ran out of spoons, maybe offering one of yours would help or just be a little bit more understanding!! I'm not sure I have explained it well but if you google it you will soon understand Xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment